[UAUG] Firefox two clicks and keyboard quirks

Wade Preston Shearer wadeshearer.lists at me.com
Fri Apr 10 14:41:38 MDT 2009

On 10 Apr 2009, at 14:33, Jonathan Duncan wrote:

>> First, the click to focus then click for reals oddity.  For
>> example, if I am
>> in a terminal and then want to click a link in firefox I have to
>> click once
>> to focus the app, then I can click the link (similar things happen
>> in other
>> app, like eclipse).  This is really annoying to have to click twice.
>
> Yes, that can be frustrating.  The only way I have gotten around it
> is to Apple+Tab to the window I will be clicking in.  Could be a
> better solution, but that works for me for now

This is by design. This is how it works on Mac and although a few find
it annoying, most like this behavior. See the following articles that
discuss the pros and cons:

http://daringfireball.net/2003/05/interface_details_itunes_vs_safari
http://daringfireball.net/2003/05/the_problems_with_clickthrough
http://daringfireball.net/2003/05/much_ado_about_clickthrough

>> I use non-apple usb keyboards and want to enable the home and end
>> keys.  Is this possible?
>
> Perhaps, but I have found a work around.  If you do Apple+Left and
> Apple+Right it does what you are wanting the Home and End keys to
> do.  Then Home and End actually do what you would intuitively think
> they would do, go to the beginning and end of the document.

This isn't a workaround. This is by design. Home and End mean
different things on Mac than they do on Microsoft Windows. Home and
End have to do with scrolling. They scroll the page to the top or
bottom. If you want to move your cursor (beginning of line, end of
line, top of document, end of document), you use command + arrow keys.