[UPHPU] Vagrant (up or down)

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Tue Aug 19 11:26:43 MDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Kevin Carter <cartkev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Both Vagrant and Docker are complex tools and I think there's more
> beneath the surface than that. To me the analogy looks more like this:
>
> VirtualBox -> LXC
> Vagrant Boxes -> Docker Images
> Vagrantfile -> Dockerfile
>
> The Dockerfile allows you to specify a base image to use, then
> additional shell commands to run (e.g. apt-get install mysql) used to
> build your custom image. If you wanted to distribute just the Dockerfile
> in the repo and let everyone build the image locally then it would work
> very similar to Vagrant. Docker also easily allows you to distribute the
> built image. Vagrant also allows this with it's boxes (either through
> `vagrant box repackage` or with packer).

Thanks for the clarification.  I didn't know about the Dockerfile.
Sounds like they can work pretty similarly.

However the original reason stands.  Dev, Staging, Testing, etc should
match Prod as closely as possible.
The paradigm disparity between full VMs or servers and Docker is way
to extreme to mix.

Now the discussion on when to use Docker in production is way more
interesting.  Does anyone have any information or experience about
this?  Perhaps a new thread for Docker in production.