[UPHPU] Drupal problems

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Thu Aug 29 19:54:40 MDT 2013


On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Merrill Oveson <moveson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Everything was running fine and then suddenly on Monday, site starts to
> consume 100% of the cpu and memory, causing the site to time out for users.
>

For this kind of error, I usually install the XDebug extension for PHP.
Then I setup php.ini (or another script in the php.d/ directory, if your
distro supports it) with xdebug.profiler_enable=1, and then restart the web
server.

Then, go to a page and add a GET/POST or COOKIE variable of the name
XDEBUG_PROFILE (with a non-zero value), and that creates a profile (usually
in the /tmp directory, but that too can be controlled in the php.ini
settings).

Last but not least, run that profile file through either WebGrind (a web
application) or WinCacheGrind (if you run Windows) or KCacheGrind (for KDE)
or XCallGraph (Java).  They'll give you lots of fancy output about which
functions were called, which functions are taking all of the CPU and
memory, etc.

I find it to be an invaluable tool for debugging PHP errors of all
kinds...  more information at http://www.xdebug.org/docs/profiler

--
Jared Smith


More information about the UPHPU mailing list