[UPHPU] I made the switch to MariaDB

jason.feriante at gmail.com jason.feriante at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 10:00:44 MDT 2012

*CTO: Lack of Commitment? (Ubuntu Maverick -- possible Percona Issue)*
This happened a few months ago-- and our CTO was the person who attempted
to implement Percona -- I think the problem was that he tried to install it
without clearing out the databases, then re-importing everything (i.e. he
just installed percona and kept the existing, old mysql tables).  This was
with Ubuntu Maverick. Anyway, I think it was broken in his case because he
didn't want to rebuild the database. i.e. the issue was likely due to
a lack of commitment.

*Unable To Install (Ubuntu Precise -- Unable to Install Percona)*
I'm running Ubuntu Precise (12.04, the latest version), and I attempted to
install Percona, but I got some strange message about a 'broken pipe' or
something. I.E. I kept getting fatal installation errors, so I never got
Percona working. Maybe I had a package mismatch or maybe I was pointing to
the wrong repo (although I followed the PPA instructions right on the
Percona site).

Since this was just for my local development environment, i
didn't persevere and find a solution (I was just trying to get things
working on a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04).

*CentOS / Linux Mint: Percona Success*
*Percona ran flawlessly for me on both CentOS and Linux Mint*. I was
perplexed when Percona didn't install for me on Ubuntu Precise since just a
few months ago I got Percona working flawlessly on Linux Mint (and Linux
Mint is built on the same foundation as Ubuntu).

Maybe I'll try to install Percona again on my Ubuntu Precise machine--

If someone else has successfully installed Percona on Ubuntu 12.04, maybe
they can chime in & let me know what I did (or didn't) do wrong...