[UPHPU] jsp on apache

thebigdog bigdog at venticon.com
Wed May 25 09:44:39 MDT 2011

On 5/25/11 9:39 AM, Merrill Oveson wrote:
> phpers:
>
> I know this is a php list, but I also know this list also has a number
> of great web programmers in all languages....
>
> Interested in learning jsp.
>
> The problem is jsp won't run using just apache.
>
> As I understand it:
> I have to install Tomcat - then link them together.  It seems this
> solution is complicated.
> Or
> Install JRun (which is a plugin for Apache?) - I couldn't find very
> good instructions for this.
>
> Is there a simple way to get Apache to run jsp?
>
> thoughts?

If you are wanting to learn jsp then run tomcat or another servlet container.
There are many out there that you can choose from, check here for a list of
possible ones that you can use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Servlet_containers

Now there are some reasons to have apache front your servlet container; however,
for what you are doing, you probably dont need that right now. If you want to
use apache in front of a container then you will want to look at mod_jk or even
just a standard proxy. Again, this might be overkill for what you are doing.

My recommendations for learning...get a light weight container like tomcat or
even jetty and go from there.

Thanks,
--
thebigdog