[UPHPU] Verify email techniques

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Tue May 24 09:13:47 MDT 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Wade Preston Shearer
<wadeshearer.lists at me.com> wrote:
> On 18 May 2011, at 12:03, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
>
>> Why are the users unable to successfully complete clicking on a link?
>
> I'm not sure actually. I am trying to get to the bottom of it. I think occasionally it's because their client wraps the URL to two lines, but I think that it might be more than that.

URL wrapping is a common problem with mail clients.
This can be easily combated by using shorter URLs.  Think tinyurl or
bitly techniques.  You can get strong identifiers shorter by using a
larger character set, using [a-zA-Z0-9] instead of standard hex
[0-9a-f].

Another idea is to use *gasp* HTML in your emails.  HTML links don't
get screwed up by wrapping.  Though I suggest using a plain-text
alternative as well.

--lonnie