[UPHPU] Development Environment

Jon Jensen jenseng at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 23:29:14 MDT 2011

On Mar 23, 2011, at 10:36 PM, Jonathan Duncan wrote:

>> I tend to use a small portable drive that I store my virtual machines on, I then
>> carry this drive between my desktop and laptops. This allows me to have
>> everthing local and have a stable environment that I can take anywhere, version
>> the env, share with others and do pretty much whatever I like with it. It does
>> require the machine to have something like virtualbox installed, that would be
>> the only draw back. I do like the ability to have it setup for one dev
>> environment and I dont have to have all that stuff installed on multiple
>> machines. Kinda best of both worlds.
>>

> Dropbox?

dropbox +1

For me the "what if i want to work from different machines?" question is moot, since my working directories (and by extension my git repo's) are synced via dropbox. I can start something on my laptop, move to my desktop and back without having to even think about it.

As others have said, there's no right way for everyone, so if you have something else that works, kudos to you.

<snark>Though I still think local development is better and those who dislike it are doing it wrong ;)</snark>

Jon