[UPHPU] Payment Processor piece to the credit card puzzle

Wade Preston Shearer wadeshearer.lists at me.com
Tue Apr 5 22:48:42 MDT 2011

I have built several web payment tools utilizing different payment gateways. Each time though someone else took care of setting up account with the gateway and the merchant account with the bank.

For another project, I am now needing to set up the accounts myself. In looking into it, I am running into questions about a Payment Processor. I thought that all you needed was a Gateway and a Merchant Account. Is that not the case?

Is it really that you need a Merchant Account and a Payment Processor and a Gateway is just an additional tool to make things simple (virtual terminal, APIs, etc)? Do you have to get an account with a Payment Processor as well and do they take a cut of each transaction as well or does the Bank (merchant account) have a Payment Processor that they already use?