[UPHPU] Shopping cart and chat recommendations

Bryan Petty etierra at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 16:35:59 MDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Brian J. Rogers <brian at ditoforge.com> wrote:
> I completely agree. I looked at trying to do something custom. I've been
> looking into AgoraCart, Magento, and a few others. Nothing was easy and
> simply, they were difficult to skin without extensive knowledge of how
> that specific cart worked.

If any of you really are actually looking for something much more on
the minimal side and way easier to skin than Magento, X-cart,
OSCommerce, etc, then I actually do recommend looking at OpenCart.
It's one of my new favorites just because it's not bloated, and the
code is very clean and well organized, so it's incredibly easy to skin
in comparison, and it's actually possible to write up usable, custom
functionality fairly quickly. The first shop I ever used OpenCart
with, I managed to build their entire design into an OpenCart skin,
and migrate all of their customers, products, categories, and orders
over in one month flat single-handed... all without hardly any prior
knowledge of OpenCart at all.

You will miss many of the more advanced features of a well adopted
shopping cart like Magento though. OpenCart has an extremely simple
email system that doesn't lend itself well to doing any kind of
targeted marketing for example. It does have a very flexible product
options system, but no customer wishlist system. It has all the basic
features you usually absolutely need, but hardly any of the more
decorative features. On the other hand though, this is a way better
option than building a new cart from scratch.

Overall, it's just a good base system to build on top of. Though,
while it is built on a decent MVC system with basic routing, I wish
the original authors had actually built it on a framework like Zend,
Cake, Symphony, or CodeIgniter to begin with. While the lack of any
dependencies is nice, there is quite a bit of wasted duplicate effort.

Regards,
Bryan Petty