[UPHPU] SSL certs

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Tue Oct 19 21:18:00 MDT 2010

On 19 Oct 2010, at 20:56, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:

> On 19 Oct 2010, at 20:52, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
>
>> 1) Correct.  Consider it a gift (unless they  charged you double).  A certificate is only good for one name.  A sub-domain (third level) is a completely separate name from the main (second level) domain.
>
> I talked to both the host's support and Comonodo's support. The second cert wasn't a gift. It was last year's cert that just hand't been removed. I wonder why last year's was for example.com and this year's is for www.example.com.
>
> Comodo said that they have updated their PositiveSSL product such that you only need a single cert to secure both example.com and www.example.com. This is the product that my host purchased.

Yeah, that is a new fad going on with SSL providers.  Since most sites use the "www" sub-domain with they main domain, they throw it into a kind of wildcard certificate that covers those 2 names.  Though some, like Verisign, will just charge you double for it since it is still covering 2 names.  It's a sneaky business.  I know, I resell the things.  Long live capitalism.