[UPHPU] Project Queue: Request for Opinions

Scott Hill llihttocs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 16:40:48 MST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Lonnie Olson <lists at kittypee.com> wrote:

> There are lots of pre-made project web apps.  Some of them are cool,
> but all of them suck.  The problem with project management software is
> that they are either missing features critical to you, or are too
> complicated with too many features.  I hate them all.  That said,
> there are some that are not so bad.  For example, I could stomach
> dotproject.
> http://www.dotproject.net/
>
> Have you considered a simple wiki?  How about writing your own?
>
> --lonnie

I would concur.  If you don't want it to suck, do it yourself.

I would look at other project apps to get some ideas and then design
it using PHP/MySQL.  You could put it on a box in your network so
anyone with access to your closed network could use it.  Projects like
this are often fun to do because the end user is not Joe Public.  That
means that it doesn't have to be perfect at first.  You can also make
changes without driving away all of your customers and sending the
business side off the edge of the world.

Funny how the older and more "seasoned" I get the more I seem to
prefer these types of projects.

--
Scott Hill

(Please notice the absence of my formerly huge signature)