[UPHPU] Project Queue: Request for Opinions

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Thu Feb 18 16:27:11 MST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Ed Felt <edfelt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically, he wants something of a "Software Engineering Project Queue" for
> our small Software Engineering department that several managers can request
> projects to, prioritize etc...  He also wants us to be able to update our
> progress on items and estimate completion times.  I would prefer something
> PHP/MySQL based since that is my forte :).  I have all ready tried
> PHProjekt, (as I have used it in the past), but my manager found it lacking
> in the "estimated time to complete" feature as well as far more than we
> needed otherwise.

There are lots of pre-made project web apps.  Some of them are cool,
but all of them suck.  The problem with project management software is
that they are either missing features critical to you, or are too
complicated with too many features.  I hate them all.  That said,
there are some that are not so bad.  For example, I could stomach
dotproject.
http://www.dotproject.net/

Have you considered a simple wiki?  How about writing your own?

--lonnie