[UPHPU] Amazon EC2 / High availability hosting

Jordan Schatz white.armor at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 10:43:44 MST 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 09:48:26AM -0700, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
> When you say, "managing our own hosts", does that mean that you want to
> maintain the hardware, OS, security updates, software updates,
> etc. yourself?  Or just that you want full root access to your own
> server so you can install what you want and configure it the way you
> want it?
What I would like is full root access so I can install what I want,
install SSL certs myself etc. etc. I don't want to have to worry about
the hardware, I would rather let some one else setup and manage the
RAIDs, end of life the hardware etc.

> I have played around with EC2.  From what I understand, instances do
> actually go down and if you do not have a backup or if you are not
> booting from an EBS your system is gone forever, as has been mentioned
> already.  While EC2 has benefits, there are also drawbacks.  There are
> some third-party service providers (like rightscale.com) that provide
> some extra help in managing your AWS services.  You could look into
> those.
I will have to look into it more. Thanks for the heads up on
booting/running from EBS. I guess I could have a main server, and have a
fail over instance ready, but not have to pay for time on the failover
unless it actually gets used? Amazon seems to have lots of words and web
pages, but little information...

> However, if you (your company) do not want to worry about maintaining
> hardware and keeping up on OS patches, security update, and other core
> software issues, then a VPS or managed private server may be a good
> option.
I would be nice if I could manage the software, and let someone else
manage the hardware.... just less work even though hardware is cool : )

-Jordan