[UPHPU] Amazon EC2 / High availability hosting

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Fri Feb 5 10:23:29 MST 2010

On 05 Feb 2010, at 09:51, Merrill Oveson wrote:

> My question (and I can't seem to find a simple answer) is:
>
> Once this is all setup how do I actually get to the computer.  If I
> request a windows instance, can I just remote desktop in?
> Or is there a special web interface?
>
> Does Amazon give me admin privs on the box?  Which I'd need to load an
> application?
> What about data transfer?
>
> I've looked thru their website and I can't seem to find the answers to
> these simply questions, nor is there a phone number
> where I can call and discuss this with a human being.

I have never setup a Windows image on EC2 but with all instances there is an internal and external DNS address listed in the AWS control panel for that instance that you can use to access the instance until you order a static IP for it.  I would assume you just plug that address into RDP.  As for credentials, on Linux, you create a SSH key pair and you use that key to access the root account.  I am not sure how Windows would do it.  Perhaps the Windows image will have a default u/p.