[UPHPU] to ORM or to NOT

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Mon Aug 16 10:28:47 MDT 2010

On 15 Aug 2010, at 14:42, Chad Sollis wrote:

> Matt's post a few days ago has me thinking, as I have looked at various ORM projects for PHP.  It seems like the few always referenced are Doctrine, Propel, and Redbean, (and I'm sure matt's NORM will be there soon ;).
>
> However, i know there is a time and place for various technologies, as I have begun to dive into learning Doctrine, it seems intensely over complicated, and has significant performance problems  (from a handful of websites I've found).
>
> Would someone (or many of you) help me understand where the benefits are in the added development time and learning, that cant be obtained by decent DB abstraction.
>
> I get the DB agnostic angle...  looking for additional prospectives and insights...

As I see, it, the DB agnostic angle is THE angle.  I have been using the CakePHP framework which has an ORM built-in.  Learning to use the Cake ORM instead of straight SQL had a learning curve but since the ORM tackles so many of the tedious work that I usually had to do manually it was worth the time, to me.  It really depends on what you are using the ORM for, how often you plan on using it for this project and future projects.  If it is a one time deal, it may not be worth it to you.