[UPHPU] Breaking Captchas

Joseph Scott joseph at josephscott.org
Sat Mar 7 16:36:42 MST 2009

On Mar 7, 2009, at 12:45 AM, Kirk Ouimet wrote:

> My web host allows me to control how much RAM is available on my
> hosted
> Linux VServer and charges me $1 for every 10 MB allocated. I wrote a
> script
> this week that uses information from the Linux command "top" to scale
> resources available based on current demand. Running the script ends
> up
> saving me about $40/month. Everything was going great until they put a
> Captcha on the page that my script uses to set my allocated resources.

A few folks have already replied about dealing with captchas in your
script, so I'm not going cover that.

What I'm going to suggest is that you talk to your host about
providing an API for customers to make these types of changes.  In the
long run I that's a much better approach than trying to keep with
changes to the HTML forms.

--
Joseph Scott
joseph at josephscott.org