[UPHPU] Load Balancing - Software, Hardware

Joseph Scott joseph at josephscott.org
Wed Feb 4 15:25:18 MST 2009

On Feb 4, 2009, at 2:33 PM, William Attwood wrote:

>   I'm diving into Load Balancing and am weighing Software vs. Hardware
> solutions.  Has anyone dealt heavily in Load Balancing, if so, what
> do you
> use?  We're just needing it for 3 web servers, currently.

There are lots of software load balancers out there (assuming you mean
for web servers, this being a PHP list and all).

- http://nginx.net/
- http://www.danga.com/perlbal/
- http://haproxy.1wt.eu/
- http://www.apsis.ch/pound/
- http://siag.nu/pen/
- http://crossroads.e-tunity.com/

You could even just use the reverse proxy module in Apache2.

As for recommendations, try out nginx.

--
Joseph Scott
joseph at josephscott.org