[UPHPU] Any recommendations for PHP PDF Creation?

Fred Larsen fredish at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 12:38:23 MDT 2008

On Sep 23, 2008, at 9:58 AM , Mike Mackrory wrote:

> Does anyone have any recommendations for a PDF writer for PHP which
> works
> well, is efficient, and will allow us to create reports, print out
> text and
> graphics and that kind of thing.  In the past we've tried to go with
> free
> open source type solutions as well, which might be our problem, so
> if there
> are any commercial products that anyone has experience with, or could
> recommend, we'd consider those as well.

I have used PDFlib and FPDF.  PDFLib works great and is very fast but,
requires some installation.   FPDF is slower but, requires no
installation other than copying the php code to your server.

If you want to turn html into a pdf and eliminate the need to create
code for the html view and for the PDF view you will have to go a
different route.  For that I have used HTMLDOC http://www.htmldoc.org/
and Prince http://www.princexml.com/.

HTMLDOC is free and works pretty well with HTML3.2 but has no CSS
support.  Prince on the other hand is not free but has support for CSS
and SVG.

Fred