[UPHPU] Is OOP really bad in PHP?

Wade Preston Shearer lists at wadeshearer.com
Wed May 14 07:30:26 MDT 2008

On 13 May 2008, at 23:49, Nathan Lane wrote:

> I see your point. I think what I was getting at is that PHP is
> becoming more
> OOP-based, so what's the harm in using objects (classes) for
> everything? Is
> there something wrong with that, really? I think there is nothing
> wrong with
> that, yet #26 states:
>
> "[Your a really lousy PHP programmer if you] misuse OOP /(I take
> this as
> misuse OOP ==) everything you write , no matter how small is OOP.
>
> Am I incorrect in assuming such?  For example, would it be wrong to
> wrap an
> HTML element into an object and use an xml writer to add elements to
> it,
> then serialize it (or toString it) out to the browser at render time?

Well, for starters, this is just some blogger's opinion. Second, I
think it entirely depends on what you are doing… perhaps it's true and
perhaps it's not. Use the right too for the right project. As an
example, I have a friend who is trying to "get into web development"
and was asking me questions yesterday about how to set up a CMS and
which one to go with. I found out the site he is going to build will
be two pages. Using a CMS is a waste. I agree with the blogger, if
literally _everything_ you write is wrapped in an object and you do it
without considering if it is the correct approach to each situation,
then yes, you're a lousy programmer. But that would apply to any
language.