[UPHPU] .htaccess performance hit

Wade Preston Shearer lists at wadeshearer.com
Wed May 7 15:08:25 MDT 2008

I have been told that using .htaccess files (specifically, mod
rewrites in .htaccess files) can have a significant negative impact on
performance. Is this .htaccess use period or just heavy .htaccess use?
Meaning, is there a difference between one rewrite in an .htaccess
file over two hundred? Note that I am not asking about the effect on
performance with rewrites in general, just the use of .htaccess files.
Will reducing the contents of an .htaccess file help or will I have to
disable .htaccess use altogether to see any change? It seems to me
that you would have to disabled .htaccess use entirely in order to see
a performance increase since Apache would have to still traverse the
web tree checking for .htaccess files even if they don't exist or even
if they are light. Will moving all of my rewrites into httpd.conf and
leaving .htaccess use enabled so that I can toss a quite rule in once
in a while without having to restart Apache negate the performance
improvement that I am seeking?

wade