[UPHPU] eCommerce - what do you use?

cole at colejoplin.com cole at colejoplin.com
Mon Jan 28 10:35:05 MST 2008

While I don't believe this is a solution for most developers in this
group, I'll mention this only because you've stated this is a media
company. It strikes me that you may want to consider doing an RIA,
like Flex (SDK is open source), and using PHP as a service. In fact,
I'll be doing one myself this spring.

Why did I choose RIA? First, the user experience is a generation
ahead. I read an article about eComm sites, their carts and conversion
rates The general conclusion was that RIA carts had a 50% higher
conversion rate than non-RIAs. To make their IT happy, Armani
Exchange's eCommerce site converted their Flash-based cart to a new
JSP page driven cart, and immediately suffered a 40% drop in sales.
Hmmmmm. If we hit a recession, that alone could make the difference
between living and dying.

Second, things like error recovery and transaction retries with
traditional carts are a nightmare. This is by the far the biggest
client complaint I always get on carts. RIAs give you state and
security (but not so much with AJAX RIAs). RIAs have no pages to
refresh, no sessions to read and handle, no funky server-side cart
installations. Just immediate, secure, two-way communications, where
the server is not nearly as stressed. And if you don't want to code an
RIA cart yourself, and don't need open source, you can buy one (like
http://www.allurent.com/).

If your contract was won on the back of an open source php-based cart,
then never mind. But speaking for myself, I think I've done my last
non-RIA cart.

-- Cole