[UPHPU] PHP Frameworks

Sean Thayne sean at lookin3d.com
Tue Jan 22 23:41:49 MST 2008

With the invent of __autoload() it takes away plenty of bloat, and they
can be very lean, and mean machines. They can save you plenty of time.
In fact they actually are better because you can work on optimizing your
objects extremely well without having to update 100x different objects
because you are rewriting everything from scratch... Also make upgrading
a breeze...

I would also suggest them in a large workgroup, where your always adding
to the project, a good mvc framework will save you plenty down the road,
doing everything completely custom for right now is IMHO not a good way
to work, because it makes it much more difficult upgrade later. even for
a small, quick and dirty jobs I still like to use my framework, to save
time, and ditch the learning curve new objects, I can open any one of my
projects and immediately know what's happening without having to
remember how I created this wheel vs. my other ones. With a solid
framework you can use the brawn of a 900 pound gorilla in your little
mouse of a project, which can help with anything from securing your
code, optimizing your code, and simplifying your code. its kinda like
having a sudo development team. People spend hours on optimizing,
testing, benchmarking, and securing every bit of code in frameworks. Its
a valuable resource, why waste it...

Just my 2 cents...

Also, I've looked at many, many different frameworks, built my own, and
contributed to others. And I can easily say that the code involved with
frameworks is some of the most sophisticated, optimized, and
cutting-edge stuff you will ever see in a php project these days. Good
programmers can write up a site, but only Great programmers can create a
framework they are willing to use more than once...