[UPHPU] Zencart Customization and 'Overrides'

Brandon Stout bms at mscis.org
Mon Jan 21 23:37:29 MST 2008

I chose Zencart for a client's site because I like the default
look-and-feel, it has high praises from a large community, and it seems
well supported.  However, it's much less customize-friendly than any
software I've used.  Many of the things that normally go in a database
they place in files.  These files naturally will get over-written on a
site upgrade, so to avoid that, you have to create an 'override' file.
Customizing this site is more of a nightmare than I thought it would
be.  It's probably still fairly simple to do, but I have very limited
web development time available right now.  Thus, I'm looking for help
from anyone comfortable with Zencart overrides and theming to help me
with a one time config for their site.  They want to make these changes:

 1. Custom text on the home page
 2. Larger category images (they are still reduced to about 56 px, and
they are reduced by the browser, not the server...)
 3. Links to other sites
 4. Keyword SEO
 5. I made changes to the default files, we'll need these moved to
override files so the changes don't get undone when I update Zencart

Please respond if you are familiar with Zencart overrides and Zencart
themes and if you are interested in a small project.  I believe this
will be a small project worth about $100 to $200, but we can negotiate
the cost.

I'm posting here because this is not really a job posting.  It's a short
and simple project.

Brandon Stout
Stout Hosting LLC