[UPHPU] broken link in style sheet kills IE 6

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Thu Jan 10 22:00:49 MST 2008

On 10 Jan 2008, at 16:42, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:

> I have just discovered what appears to be a bug in IE 6 and am
> curious if anyone else has experience with it. If a style sheet
> contains a link to an image that does not exist, it borks all other
> images in the same sheet. And I say "borks" over breaks because it
> doesn't just break them, it kills the style declaration altogether.
> For example, I have a background image set in one style sheet and
> then override it in another. Below this override, I have a link to
> an image that doesn't exist. So, with the situation described above,
> IE is freaking out about the broken link and messing up the other
> links. The weird part is that if the override declaration isn't
> working, I should still have the original, right? Nope, instead I
> get no background image.

First, IE is a bug.  =)

I have not experienced one broken image in my CSS causing the rest to
be broken.

Does your CSS validate?  Does your XHTML validate?

If an override declaration "isn't working" because the image is not
accessible then the declaration is still working, the image just will
not be displayed.  Am I understanding your problem correctly?