[UPHPU] Class and Object Storage

Scott Hill llihttocs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 10:41:12 MST 2008

On Feb 17, 2008 9:00 PM, Justin Giboney <giboney at giboneydesigns.com> wrote:

> I ran a test and found out that JSP/Tomcat works the way that I want,
> but since I like PHP, I want to be able to do this in PHP. How can this
> be accomplish?

If you're %$^^bent on using PHP, then you might consider using shared
memory.  PHP has routines that will allow you to write to and retrieve from
?nix shared memory segments.  The PHP routines are a bit quirky to use but
they work.  It will allow you to store what ever you want in heap memory of
your server.  I had a situation where I needed to retrieve information in
shared memory segments created and feed by unrelated background processes.
This may be easier than moving to another platform or language.

For info on shared memory see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_memory,
www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/C/node27.html (this has C/C++ examples), and
www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/ipc/shmem.html<http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/%7Ebeej/guide/ipc/shmem.html>

I would recomend using the shmop functions.  The other PHP shared memory
functions suck.

--
Scott Hill

Food for thought:
An eagle may soar but a weasel will never get sucked into a jet engine.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.
Never squat with your spurs on.