[UPHPU] Good CSS two-column layout?

Velda Christensen velda at novapages.com
Fri Feb 15 11:40:36 MST 2008

MilesTogoe wrote:
> Walt Haas wrote:
>>>
>>> Will any of these offer assistance?
>>>
>>> http://anavidesign.com/examples/css_layouts/
>>>

>> They use the repeating background image approach.  That approach
>> works OK if you can guarantee that a simple image will do the trick.
>> I was hoping to find something a little more general.
>>

> Walt,
> I've begrudgingly made the switch from tables to CSS (since
> ajax/dom/etc really depends on it) and basically have kept things real
> super simple: float one column, kept a fixed width on that column, and
> then margin the other column.  That seems to work.  And don't forget
> to clear the floats at each vertical break.   If it requires a hack,
> I'm still using tables for layout.  Once you get into the hacks, it
> just pulls you in deeper.  And I'm basically telling all my customers
> to use Firefox or Safari (I'm just taking that position - I realize
> not all can do this)

If you use a footer that has a clear: both attribute I think you should
be able to do this (extend background colors down your columns) without
a problem. But I'll agree with Miles.  When there's more writeup trying
to hack css than you'd get from a very simple table, I'll stick with the
table.  And that's coming from a very pro-CSS standpoint.  I wasn't
bregrudged at all... that's just the conclusion I've come to for now.

Velda