[UPHPU] 40 signs of a lousy PHP programmer

Rusty Keele rusty.keele at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 11:24:39 MST 2008

Joshua Simpson <std3rr at gmail.com> wrote:
... For a better, language agnostic, guide to becoming a superior software engineer, take a look at The Pragmatic Programmer [1].

[1] - http://www.pragprog.com/the-pragmatic-programmer

---

In the loads of emotional and highly agitative messages that followed my original posting, this was one gem of information.  It looks like a very good book that I'll have to read.  Is this one available in the UPHPU library?

I didn't mean to incite so much "emotion" with this posting - HA!  While I don't agree with everything that was in the "40 signs" list, there were a few items that made me wonder if I could improve my coding skills.

For example: using __autoload, optimizing my code with design patterns or looking to PHP frameworks for coding ideas.  Does anyone have any *constructive* thoughts about these?

My point is that I often find bits and pieces of code (or ideas) that make me delve deeper into understanding PHP and software engineering in the hopes that I'll get better.  Perhaps some of you disagree - and that's fine.  At least this was an entertaining read!

-Rusty

p.s. Whatever happened to Mac Newbold - he used to have some really helpful and insightful comments.  Are you out there Mac?