[UPHPU] 40 signs of a lousy PHP programmer

Joshua Simpson std3rr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 15:37:09 MST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 2:15 PM, Alvaro Carrasco <alvaro at epliant.com> wrote:

> Roberto Mello wrote:
> >  Lastly, my personal opinion is that people who use MySQL are
> > lacking some fundamental knowlege. They tend not to be very smart
> > either.
>
> Insulting the majority of the users on this list for no good reason with
> such a comment is a sign of someone who is not very smart.
> That's MY "personal opinion".

Of course these are two examples of  a "flame war" gone bad.

Personally, I would actually agree with Roberto to a point:  the majority of
MySQL ( and so are the majority of PHP engineers - sad, but true ) users are
relative newbies to software engineering.  For many of them, PHP is their
first actual language (a warning sign in and of itself), and MySQL is their
first actual DBMS.  In a lot of startups / small businesses, these duties
are combined: sheesh, sometimes, you'll have a guy who's system
administrator, software engineer, and DBA all rolled into one.  Generally,
you're going to end up with some reaaaaaaal bad decisions:  code-wise,
systems-wise, and/or DB-wise.  Add to that that web development is extremely
"instantaneous orientated" -- the business types want something done.
Immediately.  Like, yesterday.  It's not the most conducive environment for
a beginner.  An interesting side effect of this that we're seeing is pseudo
software engineers popping up everywhere:  the availability and demand of
PHP has produced a lot of self taught developers -- and not for the better,
either.

Of course, MySQL doesn't have the tendency to teach bad habits like PHP
does, so I don't automatically assume that one is a newbie if they're
relying on MySQL in their stack.  One can create well designed databases in
MySQL, especially with the advent of views, stored procedures, and triggers
in MySQL 5.  If we're going to argue MySQL versus *, we should bring up
actual technical failings of MySQL:  clustering, it plays loose and fast
with the SQL standard, etc.  People who're used to Oracle or Postgres will
generally have issues with MySQL, but they tend to ignore the fact that
MySQL's read speeds make it a great choice for a simple business web
application ( of course, I have a lot of issues with PERSONAL blogs and the
like using MySQL for no good reason -- just use SQLite! ).

--
-
http://stderr.ws/