[UPHPU] 40 signs of a lousy PHP programmer

Joshua Simpson std3rr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 15:15:45 MST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 2:04 PM, Jennifer Charrey <jcharrey at xmtp.net> wrote:

> There are plenty of developers out there who would call you stupid for
> using PHP. CIO Magazine for one, instigators of the most recent flame
> war: http://www.cio.com/article/176250

Hey, you don't even have to check out that link or get that magazine, I'll
tell you that for free ( and, of course, unsolicited, as I'm sure everyone
can confirm ).

That being said, religiously denying or loving any application, language,
methodology, database, etc, etc, can be fairly ridiculous (unless it's
Python, of course). But if debate can be kept civil, and you're at least
intelligent enough to listen to reason, so-called "flame wars" can be
productive.  Especially on UPHPU.  We have this particular flame war every 6
months or so;  the MySQL people holler about version 5 fixing a bunch of the
problems MySQL traditionally has had, the Postgres people clamor about how
read speeds aren't everything and how MySQL clustering absolutely sucks, and
the Oracle people aren't here because they're on the Java list.  Programmers
tend to get heated about their favorite new tool -- the secret isn't to
attempt to completely prohibit flame wars, but try to divert them into a
productive exchange.  And, I'm glad to say, UPHPU is excellent at this.
It's why, even though PHP isn't my favorite language ( we all know I hate it
), I still maintain my UPHPU mail subscription and participate in
conversations on #uphpu (granted, we're usually arguing about politics).

So, with all that being said, PHP droolz, Python roolz, vim > emacs, and
Gentoo sucks ( so does OS X ).  Woo hoo!

--
-
http://stderr.ws/