[UPHPU] 40 signs of a lousy PHP programmer

Jennifer Charrey jcharrey at xmtp.net
Mon Feb 11 15:04:39 MST 2008

Roberto Mello wrote:
> Lastly, my personal opinion is that people who use MySQL are
> lacking some fundamental knowlege. They tend not to be very smart
> either.

Dude, if you're going to make a statement disparaging other people's
intelligence you might want to at least spell "knowledge" properly. :)

That said, I really think the number one sign of a lousy programmer is
close-mindedness. Engaging in vicious language wars, flamebaiting,
declaring fellow developers intellectually inferior just because they
use Smarty or MySQL or some other tool or technique you don't personally
approve of. Of course there are reasons to prefer one language or
another, to prefer one DBMS or another. But why does that mean that
everything else sucks and that anyone who doesn't do it your way is "not
smart" or a "lousy programmer"?

There are plenty of developers out there who would call you stupid for
using PHP. CIO Magazine for one, instigators of the most recent flame
war: http://www.cio.com/article/176250

Just another example of making claims without backing them up. I thought
we were above that in UPHPU...