[UPHPU] 40 signs of a lousy PHP programmer

Joshua Simpson std3rr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 14:27:29 MST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 1:03 PM, Rusty Keele <rusty.keele at yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://reinholdweber.com/?p=19

This looks like pure blog filler to me.  For a better, language agnostic,
guide to becoming a superior software engineer, take a look at The Pragmatic
Programmer [1].

Most of these points are 1) so obvious that they shouldn't need to be
included, or 2) exactly what's wrong with PHP as a language and it's
developer community. Here's one example:

37. pollute the global namespace, one option is to prefix the functions in
your library with a common string1 -

Which is exactly one of the reasons why the PHP global namespace is so
polluted to begin with.  I mean, if you're not going to supply namespaces in
a language, at the very LEAST provide a global function naming convention.
A better way to write this would be "pollute the global namespace, by
encapsulating every little function in a class because PHP isn't mature
enough to support namespaces.  Oh, and by the way, it doesn't really matter,
because we have functions like mysql_real_escape_string!  Ugly, innit?!?!"

[1] - http://www.pragprog.com/the-pragmatic-programmer

--
-
http://stderr.ws/