[UPHPU] Project Planning Software

MilesTogoe miles.togoe at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 10:24:02 MST 2008

well, everyone will likely have their own approach but I think it breaks
down into 2 categories: data driven and whiteboardish.

On the data driven there are the big players: Primavera, MS Project,
Gnome Project, yada, yada - they require a fair amount of maintenance
with formal procedures - advantage being it gives you data backed
queries / reports.  There are probably a zillion "leaner" packages as well.

On the whiteboard side: well, if you are on Windows, it's hard to beat
Visio for flowcharting, displays, etc.  In fact it's the only app I
really miss on Linux (oh there's Dia, Kivio, etc but they really don't
measure up to even the pre-MS Visio).   For the most flexibility, we use
Inkscape.  We mockup web pages  in Inkscape (my awesome tip of the year
- since it's really easy to group divs and move them around, recolor,
change fonts, etc) and just sketch up program flow diagrams the same way
we would on a whiteboard.  A tablet makes this an awesome productive
experience.  Advantage over a real whiteboard is that the diagrams can
just be saved, reused, emailed around - the SVG format can be simply
displayed in Firefox, Safari, and Opera (and with plugin on dumb &
dumber IE).  Probably could view SVG on an iPhone as well (that's pretty
cool for communication).  And of course Inkscape drawings can be easily
saved to png or pdf as well.