[UPHPU] Geographic Web Stats?

Robert Merrill robertmerrill at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 10:33:58 MDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 10:21 AM, thebigdog <bigdog at venticon.com> wrote:

> Brandon Stout wrote:
>
>> A client would like to track Geographic data.  I explained a little on how
>> Geographic data is not very accurate since the Internet uses IP addresses
>> rather than geography.  There are /some/ apps that track Geographic data
>> based on wherever certain IP addresses /should/ be geographically.  What do
>> you use to track Geographic stats?
>>

> Google analytics does give some geographical stats. However, they are not
> very detailed and only give you a basic area. Which is pretty much all you
> can do based on the ip address. There are some false-positives with that
> data too.

I have used the myLoki plugin (loki.com) for firefox and it is amazingly
accurate at knowing my location.  Scary, actually... but they are associated
with Skyhook and Skyhook Wireless... I don't know if they have an API you
can plug into that would tell you geographic information, but it might be
worth a look.

Also, I overheard on twitter that Scott Lemon (@humancell on twitter) was
doing some things with this very subject... he may have something pre-built.

Robert Merrill
801-885-0400
http://utahtechjobs.com