[UPHPU] Is PHP the right language for my project?

Sean sean at lookin3d.com
Mon Apr 7 12:59:36 MDT 2008

Chris Wood wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In reading the archives of this group, you guys seem to be pretty objective
> about what works for certain situations.  I have been debating in my head
> for awhile about what is the right programming language for a specific job.
>

> I am debating PHP frameworks, perl, maybe RIA (flex), and everything else.
> This project is being done from scratch so we have the luxury of choosing
> what we think is best -- hopefully we get it right!  I'd appreciate any
> insights in what you guys think as I am not a PHP expert.
>
> ---Generic Description of project---
> We have need of developing a system that tracks data about widgets.  The
> widgets are sold to the customer in a group/kit.  Every couple of months the
> customer orders a new group/kit that is different than the last one.  There
> is a lot of metadata for each widget and some in multiple languages.
>
> This system will need to generate purchase orders to vendors and track the
> kits (group of widgets) that each customer may be purchasing.  The system
> would inventory the widgets.  This is a lot like a process-flow system and
> an inventory type system that is very unique to our situation.
> ----
>
> I think typically this would be done in a client-server environment like
> c++, visual basic, .net, etc.  However, the customer facing portion of it
> will need to be browser-based since they will be remote to us (around the
> world).
>
> The application is really a business/inventory/process application and not
> your traditional "web" application.  Obviously this could be done in PHP,
> but could it be done WELL in PHP and is PHP the best choice?
>
> I apologize for the long email and for sending it out after just joining the
> list!
>
> Chris

I'd go with flex, for the front end, And php for the feeds. Flex is
really easy to get started thanks to its wysiwyg editor and simply
ecmascript code. Making the xml feeds is pretty easy with php. And
thanks to flex's E4x parsing is very simple. And I personally like mysql
for it's multi-engine caching goodness...

--

Sean Thayne,
Exit12