[UPHPU] Is PHP the right language for my project?

Chris Wood chriswoodut at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 09:34:09 MDT 2008

Hi all,

In reading the archives of this group, you guys seem to be pretty objective
about what works for certain situations.  I have been debating in my head
for awhile about what is the right programming language for a specific job.

I am debating PHP frameworks, perl, maybe RIA (flex), and everything else.
This project is being done from scratch so we have the luxury of choosing
what we think is best -- hopefully we get it right!  I'd appreciate any
insights in what you guys think as I am not a PHP expert.

---Generic Description of project---
We have need of developing a system that tracks data about widgets.  The
widgets are sold to the customer in a group/kit.  Every couple of months the
customer orders a new group/kit that is different than the last one.  There
is a lot of metadata for each widget and some in multiple languages.

This system will need to generate purchase orders to vendors and track the
kits (group of widgets) that each customer may be purchasing.  The system
would inventory the widgets.  This is a lot like a process-flow system and
an inventory type system that is very unique to our situation.
----

I think typically this would be done in a client-server environment like
c++, visual basic, .net, etc.  However, the customer facing portion of it
will need to be browser-based since they will be remote to us (around the
world).

The application is really a business/inventory/process application and not
your traditional "web" application.  Obviously this could be done in PHP,
but could it be done WELL in PHP and is PHP the best choice?

I apologize for the long email and for sending it out after just joining the
list!

Chris