[UPHPU] Memcache

Joseph Scott joseph at randomnetworks.com
Tue Sep 25 12:13:03 MDT 2007

On Sep 25, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Richard K Miller wrote:

> I recently turned on Memcache for our installations of MediaWiki.
> (Memcache is the caching system used by LiveJournal, Facebook,
> Wikipedia, Slashdot, and Digg. I could present about it at a future
> UPHPU meeting.)
>
> I have Mediawiki on one server and Memcache on another server,
> connected to each other through a hardware firewall. Since we have
> spare ports and the servers are in the same rack, would it be a
> good idea (much faster?) to connect the servers directly to each
> other and bind Memcache to that particular interface? Any reason
> not to?

I think for most memcache installations that is how things are done,
for two reasons.  First, memcache doesn't concern itself with
security or authentication.  There just isn't any, and that's fine as
long as everyone keeps that in mind.  The second, if the only thing
the memcache server is doing is memcache, then there is no reason to
put mediawiki <-> memcache traffic out on anything that resembles a
public network.  I suspect you'll find most folks who have memcache
run the traffic over a private back haul network.  Often times that
network is faster as well (gigabit instead of say 100mbit).

--
Joseph Scott
http://joseph.randomnetworks.com/