[UPHPU] Rails vs PHP

Joshua Simpson std3rr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 10:51:49 MDT 2007

On 3/27/07, Walt Haas <haas at xmission.com> wrote:

> No I wouldn't.  In fact, almost the only reason we write assembler
> language on x86 these days is because we need a performance gain.  As I
> mentioned, this is usually in code that is very closely tied to some
> special chip in an embedded system, but in some cases assembler is the
> only way to prevent an overrun or underrun in getting data between that
> chip and the CPU.  Given the issues, that's not a decision that's made
> without considerable study.

Well, I apologize then.  The only times I dive into anything remotely
resembling assembly nowadays is for payloads or device drivers.  And with
the current tools available, I hardly ever have to for these tasks anyways.
I've never had a problem writing applications in C performance wise nowadays
(but the applications I write are completely dissimilar from yours).

I think Andre Lamothe permanently poisoned me from assembly with his Black
Art of 3D Programming in 97.

/me shudders

--
-