[UPHPU] Rails vs PHP

Walt Haas haas at xmission.com
Mon Mar 26 15:33:35 MDT 2007

IIRC I said that PHP, running as an Apache module, was faster than a
language that required Apache to start a new fork for the interpreter.
Python and Perl also run as Apache modules so they get the same
advantage.  There is now a new mod_ruby that confers that advantage on
Ruby. http://www.modruby.net/

I'm a little suspicious of the FastCGI approach because it seems to me
to depend heavily on cleaning up after application execution.  The only
sure way I know to do this is to restart the interpreter with an empty
symbol table, so FastCGI doesn't really give you any enhancement over

Here's some good advice on improving PHP performance:

I suspect that going through your system with a fine tooth comb tuning
everything according to those tips will make it faster than an
equivalent untuned system in some other language :-)

-- Walt