[UPHPU] Rails vs PHP

Walt Haas haas at xmission.com
Mon Mar 26 15:33:35 MDT 2007

IIRC I said that PHP, running as an Apache module, was faster than a
language that required Apache to start a new fork for the interpreter.
Python and Perl also run as Apache modules so they get the same
advantage.  There is now a new mod_ruby that confers that advantage on
Ruby. http://www.modruby.net/

I'm a little suspicious of the FastCGI approach because it seems to me
to depend heavily on cleaning up after application execution.  The only
sure way I know to do this is to restart the interpreter with an empty
symbol table, so FastCGI doesn't really give you any enhancement over
mod_p*.

Here's some good advice on improving PHP performance:

 http://blogs.phparch.com/mt/?p=132

 http://phplens.com/lens/php-book/optimizing-debugging-php.php

 http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/vasiliev-php-dcn.html

 http://omniti.com/~george/talks/

 http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-php-fastapps1/

 http://atomized.org/2005/04/php-performance-best-practices/

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/interesting-php-performance-related-articles-roundup.html

I suspect that going through your system with a fine tooth comb tuning
everything according to those tips will make it faster than an
equivalent untuned system in some other language :-)

-- Walt