[UPHPU] More CSS frustration

Brandon Stout bms at mscis.org
Mon Jan 22 11:59:58 MST 2007

Orson Jones wrote:
> Well, I've gotten to the point where I usually will end up using about this much table coding and do the rest in css.

> <head>(normal head stuff here)</head>
>
> (top stuff)

> (navigation)

> (body)

> (bottom stuff)

> I seem to do less coding this way, and I still get most of the benefits of css. In order to have a live layout change, I would have to switch the two cells in php, but other than that, I haven't figured out an easier/more reliable way to do left-right yet. Refacing a website isn't a problem if you are using php. I have done similar things with divs, but I haven't completely figured out all the little quirks. (Perhaps I'll post one particular odity here later.) Also, I haven't seen that code hinder accessibility. (It shows up fine in lynx for example.)
>
> Anyway, other than the left-right thing, I use css all the time.
>
> Orson

I left-float my navigation bar.  No table needed, and it shows up
properly in lynx.  View source on any of these:

http://mscis.org
http://flfn.org
http://bstout.securesites.net

and view the css file at /styles.css for any of those.  Since I'm now
using my own CMS and it does not have a "comments" feature or a user
system in place yet, send me an email or reply to this list with
suggestions or comments.