[UPHPU] Star and Snowflake Schemas

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 13:09:23 MST 2007

On 2/12/07, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:
> It
> turns out that these are two common and simple RDBMS concepts if my
> googling has proved accurate.

Yeah, what the articles talk about when they discuss star and
snowflake schemas doesn't make it obvious why they're even bothering
to talk about them.

The real reason I looked into them is because I was trying to come up
with a way to deal with multi-dimensional data cleanly and easily.
According to A Guy I Know, what I wanted was a star schema.  So
apparently it's only called a "star schema" or "snowflake schema" if
you're using it to crudely represent multidimensional data.

Dan