[UPHPU] Function Catalog

Rusty Keele rusty at whitehole.net
Wed Feb 7 18:54:55 MST 2007

Hey,

    I am hoping that some of you can help me out or point me in the
right direction.  I have recently been given the task of cataloging our
company's classes and functions.  While this will (hopefully) prove
useful, it is not something I have ever done before.

    Here is a breakdown of the problem: Our company has thousands of PHP
functions, scattered throughout classes and include files, in several
different directories.  We would like to catalog these functions so that
when a developer is writing new code he or she can browse the catalog,
find a suitable function (if it exists), then do an include - rather
than write a new function from scratch that will accomplish the same thing.

    I have been searching on Google for a while and I did find one
proprietary product that may do the trick (
http://www.highdots.com/source-code-library/ ), but I would really like
to find an open-source program.  Most of the open-source projects I
found seem to be libraries that will hold code snippets, rather than
ones that will catalog our current functions.

    Does anybody know of an application that will catalog functions?  It
would be nice if it was open-source, and it automatically updated
functions when they changed, but I am willing to entertain any product
or idea at this point.

Thanks,
- Rusty