[UPHPU] JavaScript Question

Brady Mitchell bradym at ext.usu.edu
Fri Mar 24 16:37:37 MST 2006

I'm trying to adapt the script from
http://www.quirksmode.org/index.html?/js/forms.html to work with all
different kinds of input fields, and I can't get it working with radio
buttons or checkboxes.

The problem is with the writeError function:

function writeError(obj,message)
{
	validForm = false;
	if (obj.hasError) return;
	if (W3CDOM)
	{
		obj.className += ' error';
		obj.onchange = removeError;
		var sp = document.createElement('span');
		sp.className = 'error';
		sp.appendChild(document.createTextNode(message));
		obj.parentNode.appendChild(sp);
		obj.hasError = sp;
	}
	else
	{
		errorstring += obj.name + ': ' + message + '\\n';
		obj.hasError = true;
	}
	if (!firstError)
		firstError = obj;
}

When I pass a radio button name, it dies on the line with
"obj.parentNode.appendChild(sp);" and says that parentNode doesn't
exist.

With a checkbox, it does on "if (obj.hasError) return;" and says that
obj has no properties.

Any suggestions on how to get this working with radio buttons and
checkboxes?

Thanks,

Brady