[UPHPU] Validation

Scott Hill llihttocs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 09:50:52 MDT 2006

On 6/6/06, Wade Preston Shearer <lists at wadeshearer.com> wrote:

> > Phew!  Since I have not had the time to become more proficient with
> > CSS, I have used Macs tabular format for almost everything.
>
> That's bad.
>
> Tables are not bad; misusing tables is bad… just like misusing any
> tag or technology is bad. Tables should not be used for layout. That
> is not what they were created for. Tables are to organized tabular
> data or information. Does this mean that they can only be used for
> text (like a spreadsheet)? No. If you have something like a catalogue
> or a bunch of profiles with images and text that should be tabular
> (multiple rows and columns), then use a table… that's what it's for.
> But the skeleton and main structure of your site shouldn't be one
> giant table. I can't force you to not do this, but I heartily
> recommend it. You are significantly limiting yourself using tables
> for structure. People need to stop thinking of pages like a flat
> piece of paper or the whole "slices" thing. If you design by slicing
> up your layout, they your site is limited and bloated. You need to
> think two dimensionally… in layers. Don't think of a web page as a
> "sheet," like you would a brochure. Think of as media, like
> television. Build it with only the blocks you need instead of filling
> in all of the cells like you were using a spreadsheet.

If I've misused tables it's because I don't know any better yet.  My first
lame attempts at a web page came from looking at code from other sites and,
at the time, almost all of the sites I looked at used nested tables to a
fault.  However, I always try to learn as much as possible.  Also, because
of my programming background, it's difficult to think of a web page as
anything other than something flat.  But I will try to incorporate these new
ideas into my designs.  And I promise I do use CSS (divs mostly) much more
than I used to.  I just wish I had the time to really become fluent in CSS.
It's like a whole other world.

Thanks for the advice.

--
Scott Hill

"May you solve interesting problems" - Author Unknown
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." -
Sir Winston Churchill