[UPHPU] Validation

Mac Newbold mac at macnewbold.com
Tue Jun 6 08:07:01 MDT 2006

Yesterday at 6:18pm, Tyler Gee said:

>> I have yet to see something you can do with a div that you can't do with a
>> table, so I would argue that there is at least as much control with a
>> table as there is with a div.
>
> I would tend to agree, but I would rewrite your sentence to be, "I
> have yet to see something you can do with a table that you can't do
> with a div, so I would argue that there is at least as much control
> with a div as there is with a table."

Yes, that statement would be just as true, except for one thing that is
true at least in some browsers. Inside a table cell, you can set
vertical-align: middle, and have it do what you intend, but inside a div
you can do no such thing. Vertical-align top and bottom work, I believe,
but middle seems to be silently ignored.

> And since one is standards-compliant and one is not, I would opt for
> the standards compliant.

I keep hearing people say that tables are deprecated in certain XHTML
standards. Is there some documentation for this?

Even if there were an XHTML standard that removes them, I would argue that
tables are still standards-compliant, just not to that particular
standard. Most browsers have much better support for HTML 4.0 Transitional
than they do for XHTML 1.0 Strict or whatever else. They've been honing
and refining that code for years (well, in browsers that have been updated
since 2001) and it works pretty well now for the most part. Throw in that
20% of CSS that gives you 80% of the benefit, and you've got a
well-written cross-platform web page, IMHO.

Mac