[UPHPU] notes from austin php users group

Joshua Simpson std3rr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 09:26:40 MST 2006

On 12/16/06, John David Anderson <uphpu at johndavidanderson.net> wrote:

> Which, in my opinion, contributes to the script kiddie label PHP
> programmers usually end up with. Java developers use frameworks,
> Python developers use frameworks, Ruby programmers use frameworks.
>
> PHP developers use phpBB and osCommerce. :(

Probably because, unlike Python, Ruby, and other languages, PHP doesn't lend
itself too well to your standard 'ORM + HTTP + template generator'
framework.  This is due to the fact that PHP is more of a framework than any
of these other, more generic, less focused languages.  As much as the die
hard (foolish?) PHP programmers out there who utilize PHP for their shell
scripts, GUI applications, etc want you to believe in PHP as a general
toolset language, it's not.  It's entirely focused on web development,
specifically database-orientated, dynamic web sites (and this itself is one
of the major reasons you get the snide, look down your nose, comments from
other programmers regarding PHP as a 'script kiddie' tool).

PHP doesn't need an all encompassing framework, in my opinion.  What it
needs is namespace support and full exception handling, and then frameworks
will be immaterial.

My 2 cents.

dw