[UPHPU] OT: Utah MySQL Users Group?

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Mon Aug 28 13:10:47 MDT 2006

On Aug 28, 2006, at 12:22 PM, Smith, Jeff wrote:
> So I have to ask the question... What makes postgres better then
> MySQL?
> I would prefer hard answers and not "It is faster" type answer.  If it
> is faster, why is it faster, how much faster is it, etc.

Uh, oh.  Flame bait?  j/k

The term "better" is subjective.  Both MySQL and PostgreSQL have
their strengths and weaknesses.  The points that I personally care
about are as follows.

   Has a more Free license, no sticky commercial issues.
   Has had advanced features for a very long time (transactions,
views, stored procs, etc)
   Able to dump the databases live w/o locking tables and still
maintains consistency (transactions)
   Administration is more complex
   I am less familiar with it
   Its authorization and access control is very complex

   Easy installation and administration
   I am very familiar with it
   Simple, yet powerful Auth, access control
   Very widely available (including commercial hosting providers)
   Different storage engines to choose from, can mix and match
   Sticky license if you plan to redistribute it commercially
   Requires very recent versions for advanced features (some are
still yet coming)
   Transactions are still hackish

Notice I purposely left out performance and scalability as these are
hotly contested.  The evidence is pretty well divided and cannot
prove one true winner, IMHO.