[UPHPU] OT: Utah MySQL Users Group?

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Mon Aug 28 13:10:47 MDT 2006

On Aug 28, 2006, at 12:22 PM, Smith, Jeff wrote:
> So I have to ask the question... What makes postgres better then
> MySQL?
> I would prefer hard answers and not "It is faster" type answer.  If it
> is faster, why is it faster, how much faster is it, etc.

Uh, oh.  Flame bait?  j/k

The term "better" is subjective.  Both MySQL and PostgreSQL have
their strengths and weaknesses.  The points that I personally care
about are as follows.

PostgreSQL
  Pros:
   Has a more Free license, no sticky commercial issues.
   Has had advanced features for a very long time (transactions,
views, stored procs, etc)
   Able to dump the databases live w/o locking tables and still
maintains consistency (transactions)
  Cons:
   Administration is more complex
   I am less familiar with it
   Its authorization and access control is very complex

MySQL
  Pros:
   Easy installation and administration
   I am very familiar with it
   Simple, yet powerful Auth, access control
   Very widely available (including commercial hosting providers)
   Different storage engines to choose from, can mix and match
  Cons:
   Sticky license if you plan to redistribute it commercially
   Requires very recent versions for advanced features (some are
still yet coming)
   Transactions are still hackish

Notice I purposely left out performance and scalability as these are
hotly contested.  The evidence is pretty well divided and cannot
prove one true winner, IMHO.

--lonnie