[UPHPU] mysql report

Mac Newbold mac at macnewbold.com
Thu Aug 17 08:12:07 MDT 2006

Yesterday at 8:09pm, Brandon Stout said:

> Since we're on the topic, anybody out there have a better way to do
> this?  I tried some of the vector graphics drawing programs and found
> nothing that worked so well, and none of them can automatically retrieve
> table data, and show client-drawn relationships.  (Client-drawn because
> these are MyISAM tables, and MyISAM does not support transactions yet -
> this means no server-enforced relationships).

I've done some generation of graphs of database relations before using vcg
and/or dot. They have built-in graph layout algorithms that can usually do
a decent job of laying things out for you. Not the way you'd do it by hand
necessarily, but good most of the time. All you have to do is generate a
graph description in the right format and pass it to the program, which
can generate or display an image for you. I don't know of any editing
tools for the format, but dot is capable of running just the layout
algorithm, and annotating the locations into your graph file, which you
could then tweak if you wanted before drawing the image, if you wanted to
improve it.

The only other option I can think of would be to output some format that
was readable by tools like Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, Visio, Dia, etc.,
but I'm not sure if any of them use text formats or other formats that
would be simple to implement.

Mac