[UPHPU] Database question

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Thu Apr 6 11:33:58 MDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 11:00:38AM -0600, Ashley Oviatt wrote:
> necessary), but had 3 million different records in it, (a mile wide, but
> an inch deep) would MySQL or PostgreSQL be able to handle that much data
> effectively, or should we be looking at something bigger/faster (more
> $$$)? Processing power is not going to be a problem. We have the budget
> to build a very nice server for it.

PostgreSQL or MySQL should handle your data just fine. I would personally
recommend the more robust, more powerful, more capable, more stable, more
debugged, more standards-compliant, more scalable, faster PostgreSQL.

To boot, PostgreSQL has a core team of developers who are really serious
and knowledgeable about what they do, so you don't get things like MySQL's
"best guess" approach for data. For more details, see
http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html (yes, I know some of the issues
there are not relevant for 5.x)

-Roberto

--
The pizza at the neigbors table has always MORE chesse.