[UPHPU] OOP continued

Mac Newbold mac at macnewbold.com
Wed Jun 29 13:44:49 MDT 2005

Today at 12:35pm, Jeffrey Moss said:

> I made a case for *always* using OO, which I dont think anybody else has
> said, I think your design decisions are probably centered on which database
> you will use or whatever, if OO were more widely used the advantages would
> be plain as day.

Okay, now that's just plain flame bait right there.

As with most "absolute" statements (e.g. ones involving words like
"every", "all", "never", "always", etc.), that is very wrong. OO and OOP
are definitely not always the right answers.

There are times where procedural is definitely the "right" way, and times
where OOP is definitely the "right" way, but more common probably than
either of them are the times where either one of them is a "right" way.

Which method is the "right" answer has just as many factors as which is
the "right" language for the project, and is usually a much less clear-cut
decision. Even in cases where OO design is "right", depending on things
like which language you're using and what the destiny of the project will
be, OOP isn't always the right answer.

Whatever anyone on this list does, *do not* listen to absolutely
ridiculous statements like "OOP is *always* the right way". They're just
plain and simply not true. At all.

Mac