[UPHPU] OOP continued

Jacob Wright jacwright at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 13:02:06 MDT 2005

> I just think that there's a vast number of OOP guys
> out there (many straight from college, where their profs poisoned their
> brain with Java ;) ) who either don't know, or don't care, what choice
> they're making when they decide to use OOP. It's just _all_ they know.

I agree with much of what has been said. You should always use the best tool
for the job. I also know that there are many Java guys coming from college
who don't know any procedural programming. I don't know any of these fresh
Java guys who use PHP however, so I believe that's why there's been some
head butting. I do agree, there are many who know OOP who don't know
procedural. I was just assuming that for PHP programmers, it is likely that
there are more who know procedural than OOP. One of the things that came up
in our group project meeting was people suggesting we do the framework OOP
for people to learn OOP and PHP 5 features. We opted instead to do Phlyte
procedurally, then refactor it later to OOP. That way everyone can learn PHP
first and gain the learning experience that a large group project like this
would bring, then learn OOP and PHP 5 stuff afterwards.

So, that's the point of view many of my comments came from. I was addressing
the PHP crowd (at least the UPHPU croud) in which I felt there were only few
vocal members who knew OOP and recommended it. To me it seemed that the
conversations were more along the lines that people used OOP too often. And
if you look at the Java crowd, that may well be true. I don't think it is
true for the PHP crowd. I think if people want to know why OOP is popular,
we should tell them of it's benifits. Our bad experiences with OOPers fresh
from college shouldn't make us warn others about OOP.

Jacob Wright